Friday, February 17, 2006

University Fees hike

Initially, I wanted to reply to an email regarding the hike in the uni fees,but with good reason I decided not to, especially not with our mailboxes flooded with emails sufficient to fill 25 pages of a words document, Courier New, font size 10.
(Yes, I saved it in a words document so I can read the rest when I'm free)

I'm impressed by joyce's letter to the Straits Times. It covered all the major points that some of us have been talking about and they were made even more pertinent when theadministration decided to further increase our fees. Equally impressed by JK's accountancy skills in doing the math...I doubt medical students have seen so much math in the past 2 & 1/2 years. =)

The increase in school fees hit some of us harder than others, especially friends who have been giving so much tuition to supplement their schooling and living expenses. So goes that Singaporeans are apathetic, that the top down administrative approach works, but looks like they have miscalculated the repercussions.

___________________________________

So I thought that my blog is dead, then I uploaded quite a few posts.
***, I'm supposed to be studying!
Dinner was great
I'm incoherent.
Oh whatever.

So during dinner I talked about the Pima Indians and the Naurians their Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus level and obesity rates;
bits of their political history and their medical causatum (is causatum an app. word to use?)
Then I learnt something new
About that island. About phosphate mining and mismanagement of mining royalties used for investment. About how their population is diminishing.
"That island is disappearing"
" You mean the people are getting heavier and soon they'll sink it?"
"No, their population is shrinking, their moving out."
Then I heard about his Naurian friend who had a White Australian girlfriend.

Conversation 2:
....So and so's business.. growing Eucalyptus trees..
Wait Eucalyptus trees?!
I know that! Its one of the etiologies for cryptococcus isn't it, AIDs patients are especially vulnerable to getting such fungal infections.
Then I found out...
About Eucalyptus trees
One of the faster growing ones
So they use it for the pulp mills
your papers dear...

There goes my super super long incoherent post and hours of expensive idylling.
Kudos to whoever finishes this. I can't believe you'll read this. I won't =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home